Do you love a mouthful of texture? If so, this salad gives you that perfect, kind of healthy bite. Hey, a broccoli salad recipe has to be a little healthy. 😉
Quinoa and Broccoli Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
- 2 small heads of broccoli cut into bite-size florets
- 1 cup of quinoa cooked according to package directions
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 small cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup chopped basil
- ¼ cup chopped pistachio nuts
- Sea Salt & Pepper
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Sea salt & pepper
- Make the dressing first. Whisk all ingredients in a medium bowl. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook the broccoli in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, do not overcook. Strain under cold water to retain color and stop the cooking process. Let cool.
- Put the shallot and 2 tablespoons of dressing in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix cooked quinoa with 2 tablespoons of the dressing in a large bowl to coat. Add dressed shallot, broccoli, garlic, parsley, basil and pistachios to the quinoa and toss to combine with remaining dressing.
- Enjoy this light and fresh salad all summer long!
Karen Sagaspe is a Rhode Island native who enjoys food, wine, entertaining and travel. Cooking for friends and family is one of her favorite things to do. She has traveled extensively, lived in Florida, Paris, France and Cape Town, South Africa. When she isn’t in the kitchen, Karen is probably reading a book surrounded by her two Shih Tzu.