Sausage is one of those gifts from the food gods. Versatile, tasty, and easy to cook! I keep it in the fridge because I know when I’m in a pinch for a meal, sausage will step up to the plate and hit a home run. The last sausage to go to bat for me was a spicy lamb sausage.
I had a nice bottle of Pinot Noir to drink, a hungry guy to feed, and little time. I opened the fridge, and there was that star hitter – spicy lamb sausage. I also happened to have a precut mixture of onions, tomatoes, and cilantro that never got into the game on Cinco de Mayo weekend. We had a friendly little team already assembled and ready to go!
I used a field of rice for this dish. But, you could easily roast potatoes or use any type of pasta and still have the crowd cheering!
Spicy Lamb Sausage and Rice
- 4 Farm fresh spicy lamb sausages
- 1/2 Cup of finely chopped onions
- 1/2 Cup of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup fresh chopped cilantro.
- 3 tablespoons of garlic olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 4 Tablespoons of lime juice.
- Pour olive oil into a skillet and get that oil nice and hot!
- Toss in and saute on medium onions, tomatoes, and cilantro until the onion is becoming a little translucent.
- Add sausages to the skillet, cover, and cook for about 6 minutes.
- Add the red wine vinegar and sherry.
- Flip the sausages, eventually browning on all sides.
- Cut the sausage in the pan so that all of those wonderful spices and the heavenly fat melts into the onions and tomatoes.
- Stir and cook for about another two minutes.
- Add lime juice.
- Place the sausage on top of rice of your choice and drizzle the sauce all around!
- Pour yourself some wine and enjoy your winning dinner!