I like things spicy, and I like things cheesy – so, why not combine them? This hot crab dip does precisely that! Not only is this dip full of ooey-gooey goodness, but if you make our easy icebox bread and pair it with this week’s Wine Wednesday pick, you have a winning combo to bring to your next get-together. Try it out this Labor Day weekend and watch the smiles turn up on everyone’s face. 😉
- 8 oz. of crab meat. (I used refrigerated canned, but if you want to go through the labor of cracking fresh crab, this dip could be that much better)
- 2 1/2 Cups of shredded Mexican cheese (separate 1/2 cup half and save)
- 8 oz. Cream cheese
- Juice from 1/2 lemon and 1/2 a lime.
- 1/2 Cup of finely diced onions
- 2 Finely chopped jalapenos
- 2 Minced garlic cloves
- Drain crab meat. Toss with citrus juice.
- Saute garlic, onion, and jalapeno. (Reserve a few uncooked pieces for the top as the garnish.) If you don’t want it so spicy, forgo one jalapeno.
- In a bowl, combine 2 cups of shredded cheese with crab meat, and cream cheese. Mix until well blended.
- Once some of the moisture has been removed from onions, garlic, and jalapeno, add to cheese and crab mixture.
- Cook on 350 for about 20 minutes in an oven-safe pan. (I used a brie baking dish.)
- Top with remaining cheese and jalapeno. Also, feel free to top with cilantro and a few drizzles of sour cream.
- Now, dip that warm toasty bread, sip on the wine, and enjoy!