I love rotting bananas. Gross, I know. But when those bananas get to the point when the fruit flies are planning to establish a colony, it means I can make banana bread! (Sorry flies, find another fruit bowl.)
I love making banana bread because my boys LOVE it! It makes me so happy to serve them a warm slice and see big smiles on their cute little faces. They also know I like to experiment with my banana bread recipes and are happy to be the tasting judges. It’s a win-win all around.
This time, I used cornmeal and added cream cheese to the mix. I love cornbread, but get aggravated when it crumbles everywhere. The bananas and cream cheese helped the cornmeal to stick. The cornmeal also made this recipe unintentionally gluten-free. Oh, just for fun, I tossed in some bittersweet chocolate. 😉
Gluten-Free Banana Bread Recipe
- 3 past-their-prime bananas
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup of raw sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 bar of bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel bananas and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add softened butter, sugar, and cream cheese. Mix.
- Drop in the eggs and vanilla and blend.
- Toss in the salt and baking soda while mixing.
- Slowly add cornmeal.
- Once everything is perfectly blended, ass chopped chocolate and stir to distribute nicely.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour depending on your oven. (Mine took 55 minutes to bake.)
- Slice and serve with a dollop of cream cheese.
- As always, enjoy!