You can use any fruit you like for these yummy tarts, just be sure that you wash and dry your fruit in advance! It’s also best to choose fruits that are in season. You can make these pretty little tarts a day in advance.
Fruit Tart Recipe
For the crust, you can use your favorite recipe or you can use a ready-made crust. If you are using the individual tart pans, just cut the ready-made crust to fit. Be sure to bake the crust to a golden brown prior to filling and let it cool completely.
Cream Filling Ingredients
- 3 cups + 3 tablespoons of whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 3.5 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Fruit of choice
Cream Filling Instructions
- In a saucepan, bring the milk to a boil with 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Reduce to a simmer.
- In the meantime, beat the eggs with the remainder of the sugar. Mix in the cornstarch until blended.
- Once the milk simmers, add the vanilla and almond extracts.
- Pour half of the milk into the sugar, egg and cornstarch batter. Beat for 15-20 seconds and then put it all back into the saucepan at medium heat.
- Stir continuously, getting into the bottom and sides of the pan.
- When thickened, remove from the stove and pour in a bowl. (Of you can actually leave it in the pan).
- Beat for about one minute at low speed. Put into the refrigerator for about two hours to chill.
- Spoon the chilled pastry cream into the crusts and top with the fruit.
I like pairing the fruit tart with this Chateau du Haut Queray Bordeaux
Karen Sagaspe is a Rhode Island native who enjoys food, wine, entertaining and travel. Cooking for friends and family is one of her favorite things to do. She has traveled extensively, lived in Florida, Paris, France and Cape Town, South Africa. When she isn’t in the kitchen, Karen is probably reading a book surrounded by her two Shih Tzu.