We don’t like to blow our horn too much. But toot-toot, we have a winner! Basil, garlic, fresh green onions, and leafy cilantro make this dish fresh and light. We were still able to make it comfort food by completing our meal with fresh linguini. Light and comforting – the best of both worlds!
We made this spring chicken recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free bread crumbs and egg linguini. But, by all means, you can go all out gluten if you want. For any of you who want a little less comfort and a little more green, try plating the chicken on top of a beautiful, sauteed spinach loaded with garlic and drizzled with lemon.
Are you feeding an army? You can easily scale this dish for a larger crowd, while also prepping in advance. Enjoy!
Spring Chicken Recipe
- Three whole chicken breasts (with skin and bones) generously salted and peppered
- Two handfuls of fresh cilantro greens
- Two finely minced garlic cloves
- a small bundle of green onions
- Three tablespoons fresh basil
- Three tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup of dry white wine
- Four tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 chicken stock or chicken bone broth
- 1/4 cup seasoned gluten-free bread crumbs
- Six pats of farm-fresh butter
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, salt and pepper the chicken.
- Coat with olive oil.
- Add one handful of roughly chopped cilantro, garlic, chopped scallions (using the white ends and a little bit of the greens), and basil.
- Toss the spring greens with the chicken. The olive oil will help all of those fresh herbs to stick nicely to the chicken.
- Pour the rice wine vinegar and toss again.
- Put the chicken (skin-side up) into a small pan, so it is nice and cozy. Cover with remaining liquids – white wine and broth.
- Sprinkle the breasts with the breadcrumbs until skin is covered.
- Add two pats of butter to the top of every breast.
- Cover with foil and cook for 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and set on broil for 5 minutes.
- Let chicken rest on a separate plate and cover.
- Reduce remaining liquid and greens in a saucepan.
- While your sauce is reducing, prepare your side dish. We enjoyed the finished chicken on a bed linguini with a little bit of parmesan and olive oil. Oh, and that heavenly “spring sauce” reduced on the stove. Don’t forget to garnish with a little more fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
To complement our spring chicken recipe, we enjoyed a lovely white Bordeaux. You can read all about the wine in our newest Wine Wednesday post.
Cheers and Bon Appetite!
The Haute Life